Large TV on the Wall or Projector Installation?
Which one to choose?
Both have their pros and cons as you could imagine and depending on a number of factors your situation may be bi-compatible or you may be making the worst decision of your life.
- With wall mounting - room size vs. screen size read more... is a commonly asked question. Other major influences are - Is it going to be big enough? Do you want real home cinema atmosphere?
- With Projector installation - Your major considerations are room, lighting, sound and a few other things.
Wall mounting Pros
- Always Less expensive, unless your sitting a projector on a table & projecting onto a blank wall
- No projector lamps
- Quicker start up time
- Can watch without shutting the curtains or having a dark room
- No need for additional speakers or surround sound
- Slightly better picture depending on gear - but no major difference
- Split screen - multi screen (commercial applications)
- Wheel around & roll away mobile solutions for office, commercial and function applications
Wall mounting cons
- Limited by picture size, currently latest size is 60-70''
- Less 'home cinema atmosphere'
Projector installation pros
- Fantastic 'home cinema atmosphere'
- Not limited by picture size start at 100'' right up to 200'' or as large as you want
- Large picture size is ideal for functions, office & commercial installations
- Roll up, tuck away, roll away mobile solutions
- Blank wall, wall-fitted or motorised screens available
- Lamp life - 5000 to 10,000 hours (thats 10 years if used 2.7 hours every day)
Projector installation cons
- Speaker system /surround sound necessary (for audio)
- Darkened room /curtains necessary
- Screen necessary - mobile, fixed pull-down, fixed motorised
- Slightly longer picture-start up time (10-30 seconds)
- Installation typically more expensive than a tv on the wall
But! Why not have both?
This is another very, viable & popular option. Use the television for tv & everyday use and use the big screen & projector for saturday nights, functions & movie rentals etc.
Tv or Projector combined installations may feature:
- 'Over-lapping' - screen or tv folds, rolls, pops in/out of the wall
- or Wall mounting and projector screen adjacent to one another - seating arranged to comfortably suit both.